Monday, July 4, 2011

Wither By Lauren Destefano

Wither by Lauren Destefano
Pages: 358
Publisher: Simon&Schuster
Release Date: March 22, 2011

"Thanks to modern science, every newborn has become a ticking time-bomb--males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape--to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant she is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left."

Review:

This is a book I've been wanting to pick up ever since I first saw it in my Wal-Mart. Of course, it wasn't until a couple months later that I decided to get it. I am so happy I did. =)

Wither is a book with very dark and serious themes, and does get a bit graphic at times. This is definitely a book for older teens. Probably sixteen and up.

Rhine is a pretty strong main character. She thought for herself, and did what she had to do, even if it came back and bit her in the butt.

The side characters were also pretty interesting. They all had their own personality that I found realistic for the situation, even if there were some times I wanted to smack them--mainly Cecily--in the face...really hard.

The plot was above and beyond my expectations, and it was written very well. As my friend said: It made me laugh, cry, scream in rage, and smile--just not in those exact words.

The romance in here was quite adorable in my opinion, and subtle. I thought about it, and the pacing of the romance was fairly normal. Not to mention Gabriel is just plain cute. I want a servant-boy of my own!

My Rating:

A

Reason For Rating:

  • The plot is great and original.
  • Characters are believable.
  • Romance has a good pace, and doesn't over-power the story.
~Tye<3

No comments:

Post a Comment