Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa


The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) 

Pages: 485
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Rating: 4/5

I have finally been able to read the much anticipated new series from Julie Kagawa, The Immortal Rules, and I have got to say:

It was pretty good!

Now, my love for this book comes nowhere close to the love I have for The Iron Fey series. As much as I wanted to totally love this book to death, there were a couple minor things that bothered me.

First and foremost, the beginning was so freaking slow. It took a good quarter of the book, at least (if not half of) for the story to pick up. The "Human" section was especially slow. It is not until the "Vampire" section that the story starts to unravel, and not until the "Monster" section where I was like "Ohemgee! Sososososogoood!"

I want to say that section didn't begin until about page 200.

Another thing was that it reminded me of other stories put together: I Am Legend, Interview with the Vampire, Morganville Vampires, and even some minor aspects of The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Though, even if there were minor aspects from other works, Kagawa still made it her own.

Now, this last thing was something that really irked me: the misuse of the word "hung". The beginning scene was a really good world-building scene, where we see Unregistered being HANGED. When I person is sentenced to death by hanging, it is called being hanged, not hung.

Of course, there are some really good things about this book. For example, the world-building IS very good. You get a good sense of what it would be like to live within a world ruled by vampires. Like I said, that first scene at the gallows was really good.

There was also to love interest, Zeke. Now, the unusual thing about Zeke is that we don't even get to meet him until half-way through the book. Even then, I wouldn't say they instantly fell in-love with each other. They had an actraction, but there were a few things that drew them apart from each other.

The rest of the side characters were all wonderful. They all had some form of role to play in the story, instead of just being there for the hell of it.

The way the book closes is a major cliff-hanger, but a good one. I would recomend this for anyone who is a fan of The Iron Fey series. You will not me disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment