Friday, March 2, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Fault in Our Stars 
Pages: 313
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Rating: 5/5
 
Review:
 
"I couldn't be mad at him for even a moment,and only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation: I couldn't unlove Augustus Waters. And I didn't want to."

To give a summary of The Fault In Our Stars would be nearly impossible without spoiling the entire thing. So, I simply gave you a touching quote from the novel.

I think what I love the most about John Green is that he doesn't insult his readers' intelligence. He doesn't dumb the story down. He gives you a well thought-out, beautifully written story about the tragedies of life.

He does this by sending you on a winding trail of laughter and tears (and let me tell you, I was tearing up in my Spanish class while reading this).

The two main characters in this story are Hazel and Augustus. They come together by the one thing that brought them together--cancer.

Hazel was diagnosed with stage IV thyroid cancer, and must live with it for the rest of her life. She is on medication for it, and must walk around with an oxygen machine.

She fully accepts that one day she will die.

Augustus, on the other hand, was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. He now has a prosthetic leg, but hey, the cancer seems to be out of his body.

To him, he is on a rollercoaster that "only goes up."

They both seem to have an obsession with Peter Van Housten's An Imperial Affliction. They want to know what happens to everyone else after Anna, the main character in the novel, dies.

They do get a chance to find out.

Another character that stood out to me was Augustus' best friend, Isaac.

Like Hazel and Augustus, Isaac is a cancer survivor. He is now blind because of it.

Like most of Green's characters, Isaac is also very witty.

This book will have you thinking about it for well after you've read it. Green has a good way of making you think about your own life and how you live it. For some people, that's a good thing. For others, not so much, but this is a book worth at least trying.

1 comment:

  1. The beginning of the book was slow to start and I put it down 3 times before I totally committed to finishing it. The middle picks up but quickly becomes a little irritating as Jace and Clary volley back and forth over their emotions and relationship. I found the plot line with Simon much more entertaining. I agree with another reviewer, Jace was not Jace in this novel.

    ReplyDelete