Saturday, February 25, 2012

Released by Megan Duncan

 Released by Megan Duncan
Released (Agents of Evil, #1)
Pages: 260
Publisher- Self-Published
Release Date: April 1, 2011
Rating: 3.5/5

After a demon apocalypse kills their parents and everyone they know, 17-year old Abby Phillips, her brother, Carter, and friend, Max flee their home to travel through what has become the wastelands of America. When radio transmissions of a resistance offering shelter and safety cease, Abby is tempted to give up. Struggling to overcome life-threatening obstacles in their dangerous journey, Abby and her companions quickly discover there are much worse things lurking in the dark than they could have ever imagined.

Review:

This cover is KICK-ASS!

In a risk to save their neighbor by demons, Abby and Carter's father goes next door. He never comes back.

After hearing a radio transmission, they set off to New Mexico with their friend Max. Along the way, they meet a girl named Taya, as well as countless flesh-eating demons.

This book had a comma phobia, I swear. There were many sentences that obviously needed a comma, but there was none to be found.

Even if a book is self-published, there is NO excuse as to why the grammar is lacking. Give it to a friend to proof-read or something, please.

"It's ok Abby we'll make it," Max said but I could tell he could hardly believe his own words.

That above sentence is made up, but it is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Honestly, that could even be two sentences.

Oh, and if you aren't going to write out "okay," it should be written as "O.K."

Which is still bothersome. Just write it out. It is just two extra keystrokes.

Seriously, there is a red squiggly below the "ok" I wrote up there, and a squiggly below the one I just wrote.

That's a fun word.

Squiggly~

Beyond that, the only other thing that bothered me was that these four ALWAYS ran into some sort of trouble. It's like they have a sign over them:

"Demons! Come Eat Me!"

The funny part, though, is that they ALL made it out alive. Side characters died, but them? Nope. The four little teenagers are just SO skilled in the art of demon-slaying.

The characters are what made this story so fun to read. They all have their own personality, even if they are a little cliche.

Max is the sarcastic, humored one. Oh, and he is a major power-house, and a jock. (which seems to be quite universal when it comes to Max's in books. o_o)

Carter is the geeky one with anger issues.

Abby is the tough-chick who is secretly a crybaby.

And Taya is the young, emotional teenager. She is also quite the brat.

The relationship between Abby and Max is pretty realistic. They've known each other all their lives, and their feelings developed over time. And you can tell that it wasn't all out of lust.

Taya and Carter, though...well...They don't have much of a relationship, but Taya has a HUGE crush on him, just a day after they met.

This reminds me of the Grimm tale, "Snow White and Rose Red." Or, at least, an episode of an anime based off the tale.

Prince#1: Snow White, I love you! I have for a long time!
Snow White: Oh, Prince, I love you, too!
Prince#2: *feeling all left out* Rose Red, I love you (even though I just met you about 5 minutes ago >_>)!
Rose Red: I love you, too! (Well, he is hott...Wouldn't mind getting married. I mean, my sister is...)

Don't you love my little skit? I do.

The ending of the book left off on a bit of a cliff-hanger. I am quite curious to see what'll happen. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment