Friday, October 19, 2012

The Tragedy of Macbeth by Shakespeare

The Tragedy of Macbeth
Pages: 112

This was quite an amazing book. We had to read it for school in my AP English class. There were plenty of characters but the one's that were the absolute main ones were Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Macduff, Duncan, Banquo, the Witches and Malcolm.

Macbeth is the main focus of the story, and he has a very significant character change in this play. He goes from our main protagonist to the main antagonist. Lady Macbeth is Macbeth's wife (DUH) and she also has a very significant character change. Macduff is a character that oposes our main force Macbeth. Duncan is the first king in the play, Banquo is Macbeth's best friend, The Witches are obviousley witches and they give several of the characters prophecies in the play which in turn end up being what the play is revolved around. and Malcolm is Duncan's oldest son. Yes I know these character analysis' are very vague but I can't say anything about their character without revealing some of the plot. And I don't like spoiling plots.

The plot was intense and it kept me hooked the entire time. I was confused at some points and if I hadn't have been reading it with my teacher I probably would have been totally lost. I mean it is Shakespeare and Shakespeare never wanted his plays to be read in class. He wanted them to be performed.

I can't really make an accurate account of how long it took us to read this because we did read it in class but it didn't take us that long. I really wouldn't recommend anybody to read this on their own, either wait to read it in school or read it with a teacher that can explain things to you as you go.

Some things that I found very interesting is that in theater (because I am the stage manager of my school's theater program) saying the word 'Macbeth' can lead you to getting kicked outside. It's a very superstitious word. I accidentally said it without even thinking about what I was saying and my drama club teacher literaly kicked me outside and made me stand out there, spin around three times and say the worst curse I could think of. She was dead serious and wouldn't let me back in until I did it. So I did some research and found   that Macbeth is a "cursed word" When people say it it's found that bad things happen. In one play somebody actually died backstage after saying the word and it seems that when somebody says it anything that can go wrong does. I just found this interesting and figured I should add it in just so you guys can get a little background on this story. 

If you're reading this on your own and want help understanding it I'm here to help. :) Just ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment