Monday, October 15, 2012

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

The Things They Carried
Pages: 246



The main characters in this book are actually quite hard to describe because O'Brien doesn't really explain their character much. He just describes what they carry which is supposed to show us who they are as a person, and to a point it did, but not as in depth as I would have liked. 

This book is from many different perspectives and honestly I got quite confused as to who was talking when. I also was quite confused as to whether or not i could believe anything in the story because at one point he said it was all true, but then at the end he said that none of it was true. His daughter asked him if he had killed anybody and he said that he could have honestly said no. But then he could have also honestly said yes because war is all about the stories he said. So it's hard to actually believe anything that's in this book.

In the end I actually kind of liked the book because it made me think about what it would be like if I was in a war. Alltogether I was glad this book ended, but it left me with a feeling of insignificance, and that I take to many things for granted because describing some of the things that happened in war and the things they had to do I realize that I take things for granted that they didn't have.

I wouldn't get this book for anyone not in high school. I'm a junior and talking with some of my classmates, I was also no the only one who didn't understand it. The last twenty pages of the book was the best part of the book. It took me forever to read this book because it was just to much to take in at one time because there were so many things going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment