Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Pages: 352




I've been dreading reviewing this. Not because I have nothing to say, but because so many people love this book (and, you know, it's a literary icon), but because I don't want people to think I didn't "understand" it, because that seems to be my peer's conclusion for me and my friends not liking the book.


No, I understood it perfectly fine. It was just so damn BORING! Nothing happened at all for a good two-thirds of the book.


Another thing is that I just couldn't connect with the characters, especially Elizabeth. She was just way too judgmental for my liking.


Mrs. Bennet was irritating, too. I really don't think she's care if her daughters were married off to mass murderers, as long as they're married and have money.


Most of the characters were pretty one-dimensional, to say the least.


While reading this book, my mind often wandered to other things. I am normally very focused when it comes to reading, going as far as to listen to music while doing so without being distracted. When reading this, I found every reason to get my mind off of it. It was just that boring.


Not to mention that when I stopped reading, I felt kind of out of it, warped (I refrain from saying I felt "high", being as I have never been in that state before).


I thought maybe I'd like this because I do like historical fiction. I suppose it was the romance aspect of it that bothered me. I don't know.


Either way, I had to read this whethered I wanted to or not (well, I could have chosen not to, but then I wouldn't get into the AP English course...). A couple of my friends have read it previously. One told me it was terrible, the other said: "Well, you like to read, so I think you'll like it. Besides, it's soooo good!" 


Yeah, I think not, Alex. :D


That's about all I'm going to say. It's all I can think of saying, at least
. This book was just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment