Friday, February 24, 2012

Airborne by Constance Sharper

Airborne by Constance Sharper

Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
Pages: 318
Publisher: ....... :D Self-published
Release Date: March 28, 2011
Rating: 2/5 stars
 
Avery knew she had a knack for attracting trouble, but even she is shocked when a six-foot-something harpie shows up on her doorstep. Coping with the existence of a mythological race? Okay. Unwittingly finding herself in the middle of a vicious harpie conflict? A little less okay. Having to rely on an arrogant harpie boy who gets under her skin? Now that is something Avery isn't sure she can handle.
 
Review:
 
** spoiler alert ** 
 
When visiting her brother in California, sixteen-year-old Avery finds a mysterious rock on the beach. Except, when she picked it up, it shattered, leaving a bruise in the palm of her hand.

On her first day back at her boarding in Alaska, a man, Mason, shows up at her door and tells her to give back the amulet she took.

He also tells her he is a harpie.

So now a group of evil harpies called The Band of Thieves (yeah, cleaver) are after her, and will stop at nothing to get the amulet.

Only problem--Avery is the amulet, now.

I really tried to love this book. I really did. I have never read a book about harpies before, so I thought it'd be cool to try this out.

I'll start off by saying that this is a self-published novel, and there are quite a few grammatical errors, problems with font edits (Like with the chapter headings), and some of the chapters start in the oddest places (like at the very bottom of a page).

At first, it was whatever, but as the book progressed, I became more and more annoyed with the missing words and punctuation. Even if it is self-published, have a friend or someone you know look it over.

Now we'll go over some other things that bothered me.
The Plot:
Warning: Spoilers in this section


Alright, so, this book started out fairly simple, what with was stated above, but about half-way through, it gets complicated.

So, the reason Mason was searching for the amulet was because he was exiled from the harpie society. It was never clearly stated, but Mason was sorta a prince (or, his father was...). He was exiled because he supposedly made a bargin with The Band. If he gives them the amulet, they will severely injure his lover's fiance`.

...I think.

In all this, both his lover's finace` and his father were killed. He was exiled for both murders because he called them out right before being killed.

It took me forever to piece that all together...

The Characters

Let's start with our main character. Avery was pathetic. I believe all she did was get kidnapped about five times and swoon over Mason. There was really nothing to relate to...I can't even find much to complain about simply because she did nothing...

Then there is the lovely, violent, butt-face of a harpie, Mason. I'm sorry, but I have first got to say that his sense of fashion is TERRIBLE. I don't get the whole trench coat thing to hide hufe-ass wings. Won't that just make him look like he has a hunch? And she keeps saying he is really tall and lanky...

Slender-man with a hunch-back? No thanks...

Besides that, he was just...I don't know. Forgettable. He did have his moments of charm--like when he went ape-shit in the jail cell--but maybe that's because I love anyone named Mason...^-^

But you are not off the hook, Mister! D:<

Mason just started off as a complete douche.

*Shove* Oh, sorry, sometimes I have temper issues...

Temper issues my ass...

Now, most people would think that Mikail is the main antagonist, but he wasn't THAT bad. Adalyn, however...First, you kill your fiance`, then you get your lover exiled, and then you turn him in? Oh no, Sweetie. That does not fly with me.

Honestly, I had a love-hate relationship with this book. I may or may not be continuing the series, but it won't be on my priority list...






No comments:

Post a Comment