Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Demon Trapper's Daughter (Forsaken) by Jana Oliver

 The Demon Trapper's Daughter (Forsaken) by Jana Oliver
 The Demon Trapper's Daughter (The Demon Trappers #1)
Pages: 340
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Rating: 4/5

It’s the year 2018, and with human society seriously disrupted by the economic upheavals of the previous decade, Lucifer has increased the number of demons in all major cities. Atlanta is no exception. Fortunately, humans are protected by Demon Trappers, who work to keep homes and streets safe from the things that go bump in the night. Seventeen-year-old Riley, only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father’s footsteps. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing attraction to fellow Trapper apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving citizens from Grade One Hellspawn. Business as usual, really, for a demon-trapping teen. When a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood, she realizes that she’s caught in the middle of a battle between Heaven and Hell.

Review:

In 2018, the world is overrun by demons, and it takes demon trappers--as well as hunters--to keep them at bay.

Riley's mother died, and to pay off all her medical bills, her father had to quit his teaching job to become a demon trapper. He is notably one of the best there is, and people claim that even Lucifer's beings fear him.

Riley is training to become a trapper, and if she makes it, will be the first girl in the guild. But, when she is on a mission, she gets her ass kicked. She thought it was a level-one, but I believe they found it to be a level-three (or working with a level three...).

Then suddenly, when her father and her friend Beck go out trapping, her father is killed. Beck and Riley both are crushed by the event, and they have to protect her father from the necromancers that want him, as well as protect themselves from the demons.

Oh, and it'd be nice not to strangle each other while they're at it!

Really, my issue with this book was that it was sooo slow. Maybe it was my fault. It took me so long to get through one page. It literally took me ten minutes to read five pages.

Stupid publishers...Making me feel slow.

I loved all the characters in this book...Well, except one: Simon.

Oh, Simon. So God-fearing.

Get a life. You're annoying.

Simon would be the type of religious person to shove his beliefs down your throat. I don't care HOW cute or blonde he is, he was annoying. He did NOTHING wrong! Nothing!

Oh, an how Riley kept calling him "my boyfriend" made me want to chuck the book.

Then there was the other boy (man?) in Riley's life: Denver, or "Beck." Beck would be the tortured soul in this triangle, but he's also flawed and a total bad-ass hottie. Even for a red-neck.

Now, most would complain that his dialogue is annoying, but I didn't mind it. It added to his character. If he is supposed to be a Southerner, have him talk like one, you know?

The only thing I found weird about Beck...

"I was gonna screw 'er, but then I thought about somethin'...Carrie Underwood. Man, that woman is fine. I would do anything to get 'er in bed." (Not exact, but you get the picture.)

His obsession with Carrie Underwood is odd. C'mon, Beck-o, don't ya notice most to all of her songs are man-bashing? If you sleep with her, her next single will be all about your one-night stand.

Oh, and she'll key your car.

...

Did I mention that the covers to these books are GORGEOUS?! Both the U.S. and the U.K. covers are just outstanding.

I THINK I may like the U.K. covers a bit more, though. :)

If I ever get the chance, I'm going to go on The Book Depository and get those editions.

Oh, and why is the third U.S. cover unmatching? It has the format of the U.K. editions. SO confused. >_<

...

My friend Christina read the very last page of the book, and claimed that it was cheesy. I don't agree. As I have read the whole book and knew what was going on, I found it to be quite fitting to the rest of the story.

All-in-all, this was a pretty good story, and I'm already ready to read Soul Thief. >:D

Beck <3

No comments:

Post a Comment