Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

 Cinder by Marissa Meyer
 Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Pages: 387
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends 
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Rating: 5/5


This is probably going to be a short review, because it is terribly hard to write a good review.xD

Cinder is a futuristic retelling of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella. In this story, however, Cinder is a cyborg--half human, half robot. Even better, she is a mechanic in the market place.

A plague is spreading through the kingdom, and one of the other merchants in the market place caught it and was taken away. This was on the same day Prince Kai paid a visit to her stand. His bot has broken down and he needs her to fix it. He claims it urgent.

Later on, her younger sister was taken away by scientists when she showed signs of having the plague. Her stepmother blamed Cinder for bringing in the disease and sent her away to get experimented on in hopes of finding a cure.

Except, cyborgs never make it out alive.

I have got to say, this book had me hooked from the first sentence. It was such a good retelling of such a great fairy tale. Though, what I liked about this book is that it could stand on its own without the Cinderella portions.

This book had so many twists and turns. Some of them more obvious than others, but like I've stated before: I'd rather a twist that is predictable than a twist that makes no sense.

The step-mother in this was even more diabolical than in the original fairy tale. She did more than just make her clean and lock her in her room. She tried to send her away to a place she KNEW Cinder may not--probably will not--make it through. That is just heartless...

Though, like in the original, Cinder had both a terribly bitchy step-sister, and a moderately decent step-sister. Pearl, of course, being like the sister who would call Ella of the original Cinderwench. The younger one (who's name I forget. >->) being the one who gives Ella the name of, of course, Cinderella.

Instead, of course, Pearl was more like: "I don't want you to go to the ball!" and the younger was like "Teehee!Isn't my dress pretty? Cinder, come to the ball!"

Big contrast, eh?

I liked Cinder. She was smart. Of course, she does have a bunch of wires running through her. I would hope she is intelligent. But, I like that she wasn't easily swayed by her adoration of the prince. She stood her ground.

What I really liked about this book was that it was scientific, but it was nothing that I couldn't follow. Some authors use all these scientific terms and analogies, and I'm just sitting here like: "...Wha...?" No me gusta eso.

I hope that made sense. I can't really run it past my mother at the moment. xD

I hope Scarlet still focuses on Cinder's story. I am going to have a fit if I don't know what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment