Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen
When the Sea is Rising Red 
Pages: 296
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Rating: 4/5



When the Sea is Rising Red is a book I won't soon forget. I went into it thinking it was one thing, only to find it was something else entirely.

Felicita's best friend, Ilven, has just taken the leap after finding out she has to marry. With her friend gone and her brother insisting that she marry, Felicita follows suit. Except, she doesn't actually kill herself; she stages her death and runs to the poor side of town, where the non-magic users live.

While out, Felicita meets the charming Dash (more charming when drunk, though) and his gang of...misfits? She also gets involved with the Vampire Queen's son, Jannik, who wants nothing more than to be free of his binds to his people.

This was a beautifully-written story that was very character-driven, to say the least. Our main protagonist, Felicita, does seem to go threw some HUGE character development throughtout the course of the story. Where at the beginning, she is nothing but a bratty little rich girl, but by the end learns that the other people of the town, namely the "bats"/vampires, are just as bit as human as she is.

I wasn't too very fond of Jannik, though. He was a bit creepy, to say the least. It must be a vampire-thing, to be absolute creepers.

Dash, on the other hand, was in my opinion, very dimensional. In the beginning, he was nothing but a huge flirt with a somewhat far-fetched agenda, but we do see him with a more sensitive side (as well as a down-right psychotic side. Yum!).

Then there were the side characters, Nala, Lils, Esta, and Verrel. They all had distict personaities without being steriotypical. Nala and Verrel were probably my favorite.

My one and only problem was that I was intially confused on what was going on at the end. After reading through it a couple times, I got what it was about, but I wish it were a bit clearer.

This was probably one of my favorites of the year so far. I wish I could find a book like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment