Monday, June 11, 2012

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

 The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
The Replacement
Pages: 352
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: Se[tember 21, 2010
Rating: 3/5



The Replacement is Yovanoff's debut novel, and after reading The Space Between, I was dying to read this. Sad to say that, despite all the great reviews and loving her other book, I was quite disappointed in this one.

Mackie lives in the eerie town of Gentry, where infants are sacrificed to the demons below the surface once every seven (I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong) years. Mackie is one of the changlings that replaced the child of his human parents. Despite this, his parents treat him as their own child and do their best to help him hide his secret.

It's hard, though, as Mackie is allergic to iron and blood. If he stays near too long, he will become sick.

Tate, the quiet loner in him school, confronts him after her sister died. She believes it wasn't really her sister, but a changling. She also believes Mackie to be one, which is why she went to him.

At first, he blows her off and tells her she is crazy, but as his feelings for her grow, he becomes a little more willing to help.

First of all, the main reason I don't like this book is because of Tate. She is a complete and utter bitch! She's nice to Mackie until he doesn't do exactly what she wants. She is constantly questioning his motives. I just didn't see the appeal for her, and their relationship seemed very forced.

It took me a while to get into this book. The beginning was very tedious and just flat-out boring. I never did quite get into the characters.

This book, all-in-all was just okay. Nothing spectacular. As creative as it was, the execution was just alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment