Saturday, November 5, 2011

Unnatural by Michael Griffo

Unnatural by Michael Griffo http://www.eriegaynews.com/images/Unnatural.jpg

Pages: 420
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: February 22, 2011
My rating: F

In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it’s a place filled with secrets. Just like its students…

For Michael Howard, being plucked from his Nebraska hometown and sent thousands of miles away is as close as he’s ever come to a miracle. In Weeping Water, he felt trapped, alone. At Archangel Academy, Michael belongs. And in Ciaran, Penry, and especially Ciaran’s enigmatic half-brother Ronan, Michael finds friendship deeper than he’s ever known.

But Michael’s only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire—part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy’s confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here—and a danger more powerful than he can imagine…
Review:

I was so drawn to this book when I first heard about it, mainly because there aren't many M/M paranormal romances in the YA community. I literally jumped on it when seeing it in my local B&N, resulting in my mother yelling at me for inappropriate behavior in public (Sorry, Mommy).

So, can you tell me why I barely got past page 250? Oh, wait, it's my job to tell you...

This story is centered around Michael Howard, whom is raised by his lunatic mother, mute grandmother, and extremely homophobic grandaddy. Wow, I wonder why things went horribly wrong.

Michael is struggling with homophobic thoughts, and has no friends in school. The only one who talks to him is the really lame, self-proclaimed bully, Mauro, who's only real insult it "gaytard." Seriously? Bullies, you are only insulting yourself by using such a phrase.

To make matters worse, his mommy commits suicide. News quickly travels to his school, making Mauro tease him even more. The news also travels to his long-lost father, whom lives in London.

Guess where you're going, Mikey? Archangel Academy! :D

I really could not stand Michael as a character. If his name wasn't on each page a billion times, I'd think it's a girl speaking. I get that he's gay, but there are such things as "manly" gays. Not macho (though, I'm sure there are), but not downright feminine (though, I do know there are those, too). I think he should have had just a bit more of a backbone on him.

Then, there is Ronan, his sexy vampire boyfriend. Uuugh...He was just like Michael, but a little creepier. When he was first introduced into the story, I thought he was just going to jump Michael and drain him Thus making a better story.

The story would quite often go into the minds of several characters. THIS probably ticked me off the most. NO ONE THINKS LIKE THAT. Page long, complete sentence thoughts. REALLY?!

It seemed that every person in the boarding school was A) a vampire, and B) gay. I mean, there are a couple straight, human characters, but not many.

Forget gay clubs. You want a good time, go to Archangel Academy! -_-

The one thing that bothered me before I even picked the book up was that Michael Griffo, the author, named the main character after himself. That could mean one of two thing...

1: Mr. Griffo was writing about himself in a fantasy.

-or-

2: The dude is just uncreative.

I hate writing bashing reviews like this, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I do not think I will try picking this up again, nor will I continue the series if I actually do. It's really disappointing when a book you want to read doesn't come close to par...

1 comment:

  1. I swear when I read the first few sentences I thought hmm...this sounds kinda cool & I kept reading. Your review while not flattering was fair. It is really hard to write a review on a book you were not fond of. I have a horror story about a book I said I would review but after reading a few chapters I was groaning in pain. Oh my goodness.
    It's a whopper of a book lemme tell you! When I read the sample it seemed as if it was going somewhere paranormal/supernatural. Uh-no.
    Its kinda gross. IDK how to tell her its kinda gross. I think I will do a summary and not get into detail.
    New follower.
    Please stop by & say hi when u get a chance :)
    Books&Beyond

    ReplyDelete