Saturday, August 6, 2011

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman
Pages: 292
Publisher: Dial
Release Date: February 17th, 2011
Rating: A
Recommended: Hell yes!

"When high school junior Natalie - or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper - is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected - especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?"

Review:

I swear to God, guys, my eyes are killing me right now. Normally this would be because I stupidly tripped over my own feet and fell eye-first on a rock (I wouldn't put it past me...), but this time, it is because I have been reading this book all day.

I am more of a fantasy-type reader, but sometimes I like to sit down and read a nice contemporary novel. I like reading a book about normal teenagers doing normal things. Although the premise of this book isn't what you would call "in-the-norm", Natalie and company still go through things real, living teenagers go through.

This book gave me a nice laugh. I quite often found myself putting down the book just to get over my little giggle-fits. Believe me when I say it was a torturous day for my family, hearing my giggles every few minutes. My friends and family often say my giggle sounds like a psychotic five-year-old. Really should work on that, eh?

I did like Natalie as a lead, but the ones I really felt drawn to was Tyler and Max (not so much Earl...sorry, my fellow nerd!) From the second these two came in--Tyler being a total, geeky pile of awesome and Max flossing his butt (I had a nice mental image...)--I was in love. Call me weird, but I like the odd-balls.

I had a hard time with Emilio, though. Don't get me wrong; he's a great love-interest; awesome personality...but when you are constantly getting a picture of your Uncle in your mind, things get kind of weird! This is not me criticizing or anything, but never in a million years would I have thought to see the name Emilio in a book. I though my Uncle had an original (if kind of icky) name. D:

All-in-all, I really loved this book. The plot, the characters, the mental images, everything! I need to start reading more contemporary books, because I find myself less disappointed by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment