Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Soulstice by Simon Holt

Soulstice by Simon Holt
Pages: 266
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: September 1, 2009
Rating: 5
Recommended: Yes

"It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality."

Review:

This is the second book in The Devouring series by Simon Holt, and it is even better than the former!

People complain that this book has lost its creepiness compared to the previous book, but I disagree. I think it manages to keep the same level of horror as before, if not a bit more.

The fearscapes in this one were just as creative as Henry's, and kept me excited for the whole time Reggie was in them. Let's just hope Holt can keep it up.

Now, the main problem I had with The Devouring is that the character development was a bit lacking. Let's just say I am completely satisfied with it now. Going through this book, I felt a lot closer to the characters, and even wanted to smack some around (given the circumstance, that is a good thing).

It is really hard reviewing short books. I feel like I am not saying enough, but at the same time, if I say much else (or really, any of the plot at all), I feel I'll be giving away the whole story. Not. Fun. At. All.

I am hopefully going to get Fearscape this weekend, given they have it in the bookstore. I know it's been out for a little under a year now, but whenever I go there, they only seem to have Soulstice (it took me over a year just to find The Devouring, and it wasn't in my local bookstore -_-).

Random Note: I keep renovating the format. Hopefully I'll find something to stick to soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment