Friday, August 26, 2011

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Pages: 327
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: 2009


Since the dawn of time the Faerie have taken...
Seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow always thought faeries were just something from childhood stories.  Then she meets Sonney Flannery. He's a changeling--a mortal taken as an infant and raised among Faerie--and within short order he's turned Kelley's heart inside out and her life upside down.
For Kelley's beloved Central Park isn't just a park--it's a gateway between her ordinary city and the Faerie's dangerous, bewitching Otherworld.  Now Kelley's eyes are opening not just to the Faerie that surround her, but to the heritage that awaits her...a destiny both wondrous and strange.


Review:

I've realized that I like a book with a LOT of description because everything I've picked up has pages and pages of it.  I like to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel the things I'm reading about. This book both fulfills my standards of this and goes way beyond what I could have expected. Lesley Livingston did an amazing job on this book.  I can't wait to read the second one.

The main character Kelley, is pretty decent. The normal teenage girl.  Hardheaded, stubborn, gonna-do-it-her-own-way, Doesn't want to believe in anything, falls in love.  But she's not obnoxious or annoying so I fairly liked her. Sonney Falnnery, the oh-so-hot love interest. He's obviously my favorite character.  He has a dry sense of humor but there are moments when he's pretty funny. He has the way of jumping to conclusions though and I found that annoying. I mean if it's a matter of life and death think it through please. but I <3 him a lot. xD Then there's Auberon the Faerie king of the Unseelie court. He's annoying, and a jerk. There's not much I can say. I kinda wanted to punch him throughout the entire book. Oh, and he's Kelley's father. Spoiler alert, Kelley is Auberons daughter and the heir to the Unseelie kingdom.  Then there's queen Mabh, who is probably the second best character just because she's evil and likes to create chaos.  Another spoiler alert: Mabh is Kelley's mother. That's right, Kelley has the power of TWO VERY POWERFUL Faeries. Okay spoiler over.  

I'm not exactly sure what the plot in this book is to be honest.  I can't decide whether it was to protect the Faerie princess (Kelley) or to harm her, or to just show her the Faerie world. I'm not exactly sure. But Lesley Livingston is awesome enough where she can roll with that and make an awesome book, because plot or not, it was an amazing book.

It took me about 2 sittings to read this book, just for the simple fact that no matter how hard I tried I could NOT put it down.  This book is a definite must read if you're looking for something.

My Rating:

A-

Reason for rating:

  • Not exactly sure what the plot is
  • The characters are all awesome, even if they are jerks
  • The descriptions keep you reading because they're just that awesome
  • Not a normal "Faerie" book
-.:Christina:.-

No comments:

Post a Comment