Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes
Pages: 324
Publisher: New American Library
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Rating: C

"Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul"


Review:

This book has such a beautiful cover. I couldn't help but pick it up. The book was also beautifully written, but made me feel quite stupid with all the big and scary words that Hayes used. I mean, maybe it was just me, but I felt like I should have had a dictionary next to me while I was reading this.

Theia, our main character, enjoyed using phrases such as "I suppose" or "young lad". Now, I get she is from England, but I'm pretty sure they don't talk like that. I understand why Haden's speech was so formal, as he was raised in, well, Hell, but Theia is a teenage girl. A human teenage girl who talks more formal than her stick-up-the-ass father.

From the beginning, it was quite obvious what Haden was: a demon. And let me tell you, he is a pathetic excuse for one. Yeah, he had his moments of blinding rage, but that wasn't very frequent, nor were his actions that bad. And let us not forget that he was curled up in a ball on the ground hyperventilating at one point.

A pretty cool aspect of the book is that it switches to Haden's point-of-view toward the end of the book. I was excited for this, and yet when it got to that point, I was disappointed. I didn't feel the change in views at all. His point-of-view was the same as Theia's, just with a few "man'''s and "dudes'''s. I thought the whining would stop, but alas, it did not.

The plot didn't really pick up until the last third of the book, when Haden's mother, Mara, was introduced. I. Loved. Her. So. Much. Now SHE is what being a demon is all about. She's wicked, sadistic, and sexy (well, she is a succubus). If only her son had picked up on some of that.

As a positive, there were some parts that were creative and somewhat creepy. I loved the minions, and the sewn ladies. I sort of wish I owned a few.

As a whole, this wasn't a terrible book, but it wasn't that great either. The main characters were a bit of a drag, but the side characters were just awesome. I can't wait until Dreaming Awake comes out. The cover for that one is just plain gorgeous as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment