Sunday, August 28, 2011

Passion by Lauren Kate

Passion by Lauren Kate
Pages: 420
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Rating: F

"Luce would die for Daniel. And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever."


Review:

I am very happy to say I have finally finished this book. It has been four days of complete agony.

When I started this series, I was completely in love with it, but as the series progressed, I have come to see many faults in it.

For one, Kate's writing style is over-all very choppy. It went something like this:

"She did this. She did that. She did this other thing. Then, she did this."

In Passion, Kate has brought us through all of Luce's past lives, except the one I think most of us were waiting for: the life in which Daniel and Luce first meet. She was trying to show us throughout just how deep Luce and Daniel's love was, but I didn't see it at all. All I saw was an obsessive relationship between a selfish teenage girl and a pathetic angel.

I will, however, say that it is clear Kate did her research, only to put it through the shredder and pieced it back together, taking out the parts she didn't like and adding things that really made me mad. I am fascinated by angels and demons, and it really agitates me when people mess with it.

The one that bothered me the most:

Not many people have heard of the story of Lilith, the demon goddess. She was Adam's first wife. Long story short, she refused to lay beneath Adam, even after he has stated that women belong beneath man. She was then cursed to bare one-hundred children a day, only to have them killed. Of course, she is also said to steal children, but I would be stealing them too if mine were all being killed.

Kate's version:

"They [Lilith an Adam] weren't together long before Lilith left him. It broke his heart. He waited for her for a long time, but eventually, he met Eve. And Lilith never forgave him for getting over her. She spent the rest of her days wandering the Earth and cursing the family Adam had with Eve."

Let's not forget to mention that Adam didn't "find" Eve, but had her created with one of his ribs.

Who's the evil-ish one, now? Yeah, Adam, I'm looking at you!

But enough with the religious stuff! How about a couple pros, hm?

Sadly enough, the star I have given this book is all thanks to Cam: the only interesting character in the bunch. Cam is so full of personality, it's kind of hard to believe most of the other characters either bore me to tears, or make me want to claw my eyes out!

For two books, I have been waiting to see why Cam is the way he is, and I finally got it! It's a happy day for all the Cam fans. Though, it did not satisfy me in the least. I was waiting for something epic, but it was just another tragic love story.

They didn't fall because of love, Kate, they fell because of lust.

As much as I dislike this book and want to tear it from it's bindings, I will be reading the fourth and final book in the series, Rapture. Hopefully it will renew my liking for the series.

Side Note: This is probably the the most I will ever ramble in a review, there was just so much that bothered me, and I hardly got the half of it,

No comments:

Post a Comment