Friday, April 6, 2012

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate
The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove 
Pages: 235
Publisher: Razor Bill
Release: November 12, 2009
Rating: 1/5
Points Earned: 0/8 (Test not taken)
 
Review:
 
We all know how much I love Lauren Kate, right? I have pretty much no respect for her as an author, but I can't help but pick up all of her books. Perhaps I enjoy putting myself through literary torture.

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove is a modern retelling of Macbeth, and what an epic fail it is!

All Natalie wants for her senior year is to be crowned Palmetto Princess (prom queen, for all you normal people out there). He long-term boyfriend, Mike, is a lot less enthusiatic. At this rate, pretty-boy Justin Balmer is going to get crowned Prince. That is, until a prank the night of Rex's Mardi Gras party goes horribly wrong.

How on Earth is she going to get her crown, while at the same time covering up her tracks? And why is it she is still seeing Justin wherever she goes?

The first thing I have to say about this book: unrealistic. I mean, yes, this book does boarder on paranormal, but I mean on more of a high-school-level.

You know, like how you see on television. There is always that one girl who dreams of being crowned homecoming/prom queen. Times that by ten and you get Palmetto High.

Not everyone is set on being crowned, but they are all pretty into the whole thing. To the point where they have a day on just showing off their jessamines, rightly named Jessamine Day.

Now, I don't know about your schools, but at mine all the grade levels pretty much get along. I don't know any "Bambies" and none of my Junior friends are hippies. Maybe you do?

The way people talk in this book is just odd. Most people my age wouldn't use the word "polyamorous" (well, except my friend Alex) and little to none know what a "thespian" is (I'm just a freak like that), so using the phrase "polyamorous thespian" just doesn't work.

Then again, Kate is known to use big words in her books.

Another problem: grammar. I can let commas and stuff slide, but "more softly" is just not acceptable. Perhaps this is to prove that Nat is uneducated? But, then again, she used the phrase "polyamorous thespian," so I don't know.

Really, wouldn't it just be easier to say "whore?"

Normally I can tell from the beginning whether or not this book with be enjoyable. The first paragraph was pretty good, and then the style just went juvenile.

Once upon a time, we knew nothing--like ohmigod! I sooo want those shoes

The ending was no better...until the last paragraph. I think we have a pattern!

*SPOILERS*

We all know that in the play, Lady Macbeth kills herself. Well, not in this story! Instead of killing herself, Natalie planned to run away to New York. Her plans went wrong (again) when she got into an argument with Mike in their "secret spot." It resulted in him pushing her off the edge of a cliff to her ultimate death.

This was obviously supposed to take you off-guard, make you sad. I say that she deserved it.

*END SPOILERS*

Natalie was just an unlikeable character: selfish and manipulative. She didn't even really have any character development. I suppose there was a small hint of remose in the end, but not really.

All-in-all, this is a standard Lauren Kate book: a gorgeous cover with terrible content.

No comments:

Post a Comment