Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak
Pages: 198
Points: 8/8




Melinda Speaks: I wasted the last weeks of August watching bad cartoons. I didn't go to the mall, the lake, or the pool, or answer the phoe. I have netered high school with the wrong hair, the wrong clothes, the wrong attitude. And I don't have anyone to sit with.
I am Outcast.
The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they're laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around. It's Rachel, surrounded by a bunch of kids wearing clothes that most definately did not come from the EastSide mall. Rachel Bruin, my ex-best friend. She stares at something above my left ear. Words climb up my throat. This was the girl who suffered through brownies with me, who taught me how to swim, who understood about my parents, who didn't make fun of my bedroom. If there is anyone in the entire galaxy I am dying to tell what really happened, it's Rachel. My throat burns.
Her eyes meet mine for a second. "I hate you." she mouths silently.


This book was really touching. That's the only way I can describe it. I can't really explain much of the book or it could lead to spoilers and  hate spoiling books. But this book isn't that long, it's an easy read and a lot of teenagers can compare to it.

The characters mostly are the parents, Heather, Rachel, and Melinda. Melinda, the main character is super quiet and barely ever talks. But she had gone through a lot so it's understandable. The parents are never there and when they are they're (for lack of a better word) butts. Melinda has a terrible home life which is just one of the many things that adds to the horribleness of her life. Heather is just annoying. Enough said. Rachel is a go with the crowd type of girl. I don't know why Melinda wants to be her friend so bad honestly.

I'm not going to say much about the plot because it kind of unfolds as you go along. But the plot was excellent and there was one major twist in it that I wasn't expecting.

It only took about 2 days to read this book because it's so short and easy to read. It was an amazing book. For the win Laurie Anderson. Quite an exceptional book.

No comments:

Post a Comment