Friday, April 20, 2012

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal #1) 

Pages: 307
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 9, 2011
Rating: 2/5
Points: 13/13


The story we have all come to love is a lie. Juliet Capulet's death wasn't suicide, it was murder. Her soul mate, Romeo Montague plunged the knife into her heart.
Now, he is her mortal enemy. As she tries to bring soul mates together, Romeo is trying to separate them in the most permanent way possible--he is trying to convince one to sacrifice the other, as he once did, for immortality.
*THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS*
My first major problem was Juliet. She is the most self-centered person I have EVER read about. Even more so than Natalie Harvgrove, and THAT is saying something!
As she is supposed to be bringing people together, she is fawning over Ben Luna, her supposed true love.
This is where the story starts to get to me. It is quite obvious that Ben is really a reincarnation of none other than Benvolio. This just makes the whole story just scream FANFICTION to me. I'm sorry, I love Benvolio (from the original play), but not with Juliet. Just...no.
Speaking of Ben, he irked me too. In this book, Ben is Mexican. Okay, fine, whatever. This is my problem:
Authors tend to shove the fact that a person in the story is Hispanic down your throat.
"Hey, what's up, chica?"
See, as a person who IS hispanic and grew up around people who speak Spanish, I would know that MOST hispanics don't throw random Spanish into their sentences.
The onces that do are just annoying...
Besides that, it is stated that Ben is an exact replica of past-Benvolio, who in which...isn't Mexican.
Maybe I'm looking too far into this. It is just fiction, after all.
Then there is their relationship. They knew each other for three days before falling in love? I mean, it took Romeo and Juliet .5 seconds...So, maybe she was just playing off that.
Funny part is, it took Benvolio (past) .1 seconds to fall in love with Juliet, DESPITE her sleeping with his cousin.
Shakespear, what have you done?
At first, I thought the plot was amazing, but the more I read the story, the cheesier I found it. I think it was my excitment to read something Romeo and Juliet related.
Romeo was, by far, the most interesting thing about this book. The "intermezzos" (Italian for "intermission") were fun to read. I loved how psycho Romeo was.
As I said, as much as this book irked me, there was something drawing me in, making me read it until the end. That and Romeo is what saved this book and gave it the two stars. (:
By the way, I apologize if I offended anyone talking about Ben being Hispanic. It was more the sterotypes that bothered me than his race. >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment